Always a Potterhead




It was a phase in my life where I was watching tons of English movies on HBO. One such movie that I came across was Harry Potter. It is so special because our connection is very much generic. As a child the world of Magic fascinated me. It ingrained the aspect of imagination in my life. It was beautiful. 

It was like I was living the story. It felt like I belonged with them. I dreamt of getting my letter for admission in Hogwarts. I yearned to be in Griffindor. All the 90's kids would relate to this. 


Harry Potter had an unerasable mark on my mind. It taught me what true friendship feels like. I still cry whenever I watch the trio together.  The movie's subtle message of loyalty will be carried on for generations to come. Loyalty and goodness are rare virtues. There are a thousand instances in the film which uphold these values by being zero percent preachy.  That's the mark of impeccable story telling.  The way Harry treats Dobby, multiple instances where Ron's family and Hermione come to Harry's rescue, Luna's constant support to Harry, in Deathly Hallows where Snape tries to harm Harry his friends come to his rescue by standing against Snape are remarkable examples of sheer goodness. They need not have done it. Yet they risked their lives.

Hagrid’s undying loyalty towards Dumbledore, Snape’s immortal love for Lily Potter, Serius Black’s affection for Harry Potter, Neville Longbottom’s courage to stand against evil and finally Harry’s integrity to complete the tasks that drive his life‘s purpose are some of the million virtues I try to imbibe in my life. 


What would this blog mean if I do not share my favourite quotes from J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter! 


“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.”

                         -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter

                                         and the Deathly Hallows

My take: In the deathly hallows when Harry no longer understands what needs to be done he encounters a dreamlike situation where he interacts with Dumbledore. Harry is almost broken to see many dying around him. When he expresses his dilemma in front of Dumbledore, he says this line. 

It is a quote of much substance. In fact this helped me grieve my naanamma‘s death.


“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.”

                         – Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter

                                              and the Sorcerer’s Stone

My take: This is set in the scenario where Mr.Longbottom stands up against the trio not giving into peer pressure. This is what friends do. For instance Shivani does this to me every second day😅 In fact all my friends do.


“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

                                   – Albus Dumbledore, Harry   

                       Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

My take: This is my most favourite quote. It keeps me grounded and constantly pushes me to do and be better. It taught me the importance of choosing what I feel is good for me without any fear or doubt. I derive immense strength from this quote till date.


Before I end this blog I feel that Harry Potter is modern Mahabharat. It has everything. It has elements of Mahabharat in terms of good triumphing over evil. Krishna always pushes Arjuna to keep moving forward. Similarly Harry Potter showcases that being a Potter head is not about who’s been here first it’s about who will stay till the very end. 

I safely treasure the experience of me watching Harry Potter. I cried a lot when I watched the last part in theatre. Nothing has changed after all these years. So when my mom asks, “ After all these years? “ , I fondly reply,ALWAYS”. 


Forever a Potterhead,

Spurthy

Comments

  1. Harry Potter encased in itself many grains of ennobling truths. One need to get back to them for sustenance

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts